Friday, July 27, 2007

It's a zoo around here

Actually, when I think about it, animals at zoos usually seem to be sedated. Or maybe they're just depressed about their confinement. Either way, they usually seem rather calm. But there's nothing sedate about life in our house. A couple of examples from today...

After lunch, I went to read in our room for a bit, hoping to preserve my sanity. I'd alone been alone for a few minutes when I overhead quickly escalating chaos in the children's bedroom. I rushed to Matt's aid and was greeted by the following scene: Matt was scrambling to kill the ants that had once again invaded the kids' bedroom. Caleb had insisted that he was wearing a pull-up (he had on Spiderman underwear) and proceeded to pee all over his clothes and the floor. Madi crawls in from the living room, naked from the waist down. She has managed to pull of her diaper. I search for the missing diaper and find it filled with poop. Of course, the poop was not confined to the diaper; it decorated the surrounding floor as well. I thought the only appropriate response to this circus was laughter, but Matt was not amused. He asked if we could order cages.

This afternoon was blissfully peaceful as the children both took gloriously long naps. In fact Caleb woke up at 5:45. As Vacation Bible School started at 5:45, we were in a bit of a rush. I threw clothes on him, grabbed a banana for him to eat on the way, and hustled the children to the van. I thought we were doing well until I saw water running down our windshield followed by a thud. We were bringing a bouquet of flowers for Caleb's VBS teacher, and I had driven off with them on top of the van! Somehow, the vase did not break as it rolled down the windshield and hit the pavement. So, I pulled over, collected the vase, flowers, and card, and reassembled everything. Granted, the flowers looked a little ragged after their sojourn in the asphalt, but it was amazing that the bouquet survived.

VBS was relatively uneventful, with Caleb only throwing himself to the floor for the first fifteen minutes. Madi also took advantage of me while my hands were full (literally, not figuratively this time). She swiped my cookie and nibbled her first bite of chocolate chip cookie (shhh... don't tell Matt)!

So, the next time that you're tempted to go to the zoo, save your admission fee. You can come and observe wildlife at our house for free!

1 comment:

ethan.and.noahsmom said...

Tell Matt to let me know how much the cages cost ;)

Powered By Blogger