Monday, May 14, 2007

Library Schmibrary

Let me preface this by saying that I love the library. I do. It's probably one of the more efficient uses of our tax dollars. I used to not care for the library. I wanted to own books, not just borrow them. But when you're short on space to shelve books and low on funds to buy them, you learn to love the library. Especially our library, which has a really outstanding collection of books for a small-town library.

But now the children's librarian says that only children who can sit still can attend storytime. Seriously? Storytime is by nature intended for preschoolers. Older children are in school. Preschoolers are not physiologically capable of sitting still for long periods of time. Can they dance a bit and wiggle while listening to a story? Is that too difficult? But no, let us dope them all up on Ritalin. Then, we'll all be happy, right? In the meantime, I have a little guy, an active little guy, who will no longer be able to attend storytime. A children's librarian, whose job is to cultivate a love of reading in little children, has failed.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger